History of creation
The sculpture comes from the Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Horodenka. The church was built during 1745-1769. The sculpture was created in 1750-1755.
Description of the sculpture
Characteristic is the expressive flexure of the child’s body, sincere benevolent face, energetic curls, tense cloudy drapery.
In this work, Pinsel conveys a sense of child’s play and immediacy. Probably, he captured such moments while playing with his little son Bernard.
- Putto. 1750-1755.
- wood, white paint.
- Size: 122,5×61,5×55,5.
- Місце зберігання: The Johann Georg Pinsel Museum in Lviv. ЛГМ № С-1-1599.
- Provenance: the high altar of the Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Horodenka, Ivano-Frankivsk region.
- Literature: Hornung, 1976, p. 72, il. 66. — Voznytsky, Opanasenko, 1988, p. 6 (exhibition catalogue). — Exhibition Catalogue Praha 1989, p. 13, Cat.-Nr. 7. — Voznytsky, 2007, p. 136, № 43 (catalogue). — Stetsko, 2012, p. 161 (catalogue). — Exhibition Catalogue Paris 2012, p. 110-13, Cat.-Nr. 5.