History of creation
The sculpture comes from the Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Horodenka. The church was built during 1745-1769. The sculpture was created in 1750-1755.
Description of the sculpture
Expressive and underlined weathered expression of the child’s face, pinched eyes, a frowning look, spread by the wind curls, and wings stretched as sail are characteristic.
In this work, Pinsel creates a feeling of cold icy wind. Obviously, he saw such childish faces on winter days in the streets of Buchach.
- Cherub (winged head of an angel with a strand of hair on forehead). 1750-1755.
- wood, white paint.
- Size: 39х42,5х21,5.
- Current location: The Johann Georg Pinsel Museum in Lviv. ЛГМ № С-1-1085.
- Provenance: the high altar of the Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Horodenka, Ivano-Frankivsk region.
- Literature: Hornung, 1937, p. 52. — Mańkowski, 1937, p. 33. — Hornung, 1976, p. 77, il. 66, 70. — Voznytsky, Opanasenko, 1988, p. 7 (exhibition catalogue).