Cherub (winged head of an angel turned right)
History of creation
The sculpture comes from the Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Horodenka. The church was built during 1745-1769. The sculpture was created in 1750-1755.
Description of the sculpture
Naturalistic way of depicting the child’s head, sad eyes, a sad expression on the face, wings open in a flight are characteristic.
In this work, Pinsel, following his own style of carving, creates a sense of peace and balanced flight. Probably, he observed such moments during the flights of birds from the Buchach mountains.
- Cherub (winged head of an angel turned right). 1750-1755
- wood, white paint
- Size: 32×43×21
- Current location: The Johann Georg Pinsel Museum in Lviv, № С-1-1086.
- Provenance: the high altar of the Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Horodenka, Ivano-Frankivsk region.
- Literature: Mańkowski, 1937, p. 33. — Hornung, 1976, p. 75, il. 66. — Voznytsky, Opanasenko, 1988, p. 7 (exhibition catalogue).