Cherub (winged head of an angel turned right)
History of creation
The sculpture comes from the Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Horodenka. The church was built during 1745-1769. The sculpture was created in 1750-1755.
Description of the sculpture
Characteristic is the grotesque way of depicting the child’s head with a massive forehead, exorbitantly large eyes with open eyelids, smiling look on the face, expressive turn of wings.
In this work, Pinsel dynamically compares the whirlwind in the angel’s hair with the two wings.
- Cherub (winged head of an angel turned right) . 1750-1755.
- wood, white paint
- Size: 28,5×44×25
- Current location: The Johann Georg Pinsel Museum in Lviv. ЛГМ № С-1-1082.
- Provenance: the high altar of the Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Horodenka, Ivano-Frankivsk region.
- Literature: Hornung, 1937, p. 52. — Mańkowski, 1937, p. 33. — Hornung, 1976, p. 77, il. 66, 70. — Voznytsky, Opanasenko, 1988, p. 7 (exhibition catalogue).