The sculpture comes from the main altar of Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. The church was built during 1745-1769 by Bernard Meretyn. The sculpture was created in 1752-1755.
Definitive is the impulsive interpretation of the folds on the clothes and cloak, sensibly opened hands. Dress, cloak and hanging handkerchief carved flatly and crosswise embracing female waist. Similar artistic solutions are later observed in the work of Swiss sculptor, painter and graphic artist Alberto Giacometti (1901-1966).
In this work, Pinsel elegantly interprets the Biblical Apocrypha plot when St. Anne teaches reading to the Virgin Mary. Unfortunately, the face, wrists, book, fragments of the handkerchief and cloak have been lost.
Photographs of the early twentieth century show that Pinsel gracefully and delicately carved out the palms, and depicted a smile on the face of St. Anne, as well as friendliness, benevolence and the sacrament of sacred reading.
- St. Anne. 1752-1755.
- Limewood, relict areas of levkas, lost polychrome.
- Size: 275.
- Location: Johann Georg Pinsel Museum in Lviv. LAG inv. no С-1-1636.
- Provenance: the high altar of the Missionary Fathers’ Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Horodenka, Ivano-Frankivsk region.
- Literature: Mańkowski, 1937, p. 33. — Hornung, 1937, p. 52. — Hornung, 1976, s. 75-78, il. 66, 67. — Voznytsky, Opanasenko, 1988, p. 5, № 2 (exhibition catalogue). — Exhibition Catalogue Praha 1989, p. 13, Cat.-Nr. 2. — Exhibition Catalogue Wilanów 1990, p. 18, Cat.-Nr. 2. — Mieleszko, 1990, p. 57. — Voznytsky, 2007, p. 72, № 37 (catalogue). — Stetsko, 2012, p. 164 (catalogue). — Himmlisch! 2016, p. 126, Cat.-Nr. 1 (catalogue).