© 2019. Pinsel.AR

Časová osa

Early 1740s

A sculptor calling himself Pinsel arrives in Buczacz (Buchach), a town in Ukrainian Podolia (then in the Polish Commonwealth), neighbouring on the estate of the starost [King’s officer] of Kaniv, Mikołaj Potocki. From then on, Pinsel works together with architect Bernard Meretyn [Meretino].


Late 1740s

Commissioned by Mikołaj Potocki, Pinsel executes twelve allegorical stone statues representing ‘The Twelve Labours of Hercules.’ The are mounted on the attic of the Town Hall of Buczacz.

For the Gothic parish church (erected in 1379) in Buczacz, Pinsel executes two altars, of SS Thaddeus and Nicholas.

Józef Potocki commissions a huge altar with figures of Archangels for the parish church in Monasterzyska [Monastyryska].

For the Orthodox Church of Our Lady in Buczacz, Pinsel executes the iconostas, the pulpit, the altars of St Nicholas and of the Assumption of the Virgin with the allegorical figures of Faith, Valour, an unidentified female figure, and the statue of Tobias.


1750

He makes a large stone figure of St John Nepomucene, raised in the vicinity of Buczacz.


1751

Pinsel makes a stone figure of the Virgin Mary placed in the vicinity of Buczacz next to the figure of St John Nepomucene.

May 3rd, in the parish church of Buczacz, the priest of the St Thaddeus’ altar blesses the marriage between ‘the honourable Jan Grzegorz Pilze, altarpiece sculptor and Marianna Elżbieta Kejtowa, a widow’ (née Majewska).


1752

June 4th, priest Adalbert Sobiecki ‘baptizes Bernard the infant of the noble Grzegorz (evident error in this entry, ― Borys Voznytsky) and Marianna Pilze. The infant boy was held to baptism during the holy immersion by distinguished Bernard Meretyn, architect to the Right Honourable Lord, and by Mme Sosnowska of Buczacz.’


Early 1750s

For the Church of the Missionary Fathers in the village of Horodenka, Pinsel executes five wooden altarpices: Altarpiece of the Virgin Mary with the figures od SS Joachim, Anne, Elizabeth, and Joseph; Altarpiece of Christ the Crucified with the figures of the Virgin and St John; Altarpiece of St John Nepomucene with allegorical female figures; Altarpiece with the figures of SS Vincent de Paul and Roch; Altarpiece of the Holy Trinity with the figure of a prophet (unidentified) and the Sacrifice of Isaak group as well as a pulpit with the figures of the Evangelists and the bas-relief of Jesus among the Doctors.

The artist executes the figure of St Felix with an Infant (St Anthony of Padua, ― Oleh Rybchynskyi) for the Mariampil Church of the Sisters Charity.


1757

Pinsel receives 990 zlotys for the execution, together with Jan Gertner, of two altarpieces of the Patriarchs for the Trinitarian Church in Lviv; he additionally makes small figures of SS John Nepomucene and Joachim.


Late 1750s

Figure of Christ the Crucified for St Martin’s Church in Lviv.

Figure of Christ the Crucified for the church in Lopatyn.

Figure of St Humphrey for the Basilian monastery in Rukomysz, a village near Buczacz.


1759

Pinsel works for the Orthodox Cathedral of St George in Lviv (designed by Bernard Meretyn). He is credited with the stone sculptures decorating the facade: the equestrian figure of St George and statues of SS Lev and Athanasius, patron saints of the Szeptycki family (donors).

In Hodowica, a village near Lviv, for the church erected to Bernard Meretyn’s design Pinsel executes the huge altar of Christ the Crucified with two angels, figures of the Virgin Mary and St John, and compositions of life-size figures of Sacrifice of Isaak and Samson Tearing the Lion’s Mouth.

In his workshop, Pinsel executes a pulpit decorated with the Christ among the Doctors bas-relief for the church in Hodowica; surviving at the back are Bernard Meretyn’s signature and seal as the building project (‘factory’) supervisor.

3 June, the Pimsels’ second son is christened Antoni.


1760

Pinsel works for the parish church at Monastyryska, executing Altarpiece of the Virgin Mary with the figures of SS Joachim and Anne; Altarpiece of Christ the Crucified with the figures of the prophets; Small altarpieces of SS Antony of Padua and Nicholas (no longer extant in the 19th century); the only surviving element is the figure of Aaron (the whereabouts of the figure of Moses is not known though it still existed in the first half of the 20th century). At Monastyryska, working together with Pinsel was Lviv sculptor Antoni Sztyl, credited with the sculptures for the centre of the altarpiece.

For the church in Budaniv, the Pinsel workshop executes a huge altarpiece with the figures if SS Jerome, Augustine, Gregory and Ambrose.


1761

Johann Georg Pinsel dies, probably at the end of the year. In September, he receives the fee for the small altarpieces for the church in Monastyryska.


1762

24 October 1762, Pinsel’s widow Elizabeth marries Jan Berensdorf, her third husband. The recent emergence on the Munich antique market of Pinsel’s six bozzetti (models), purchased for the Bavarian Museum, may be an indication that, when going abroad with her sons and her third husband, his widow took along part of Pinsel’s workshop.